The University of Washington's American Indian Studies Department co-sponsors an annual symposium, ""The Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ: Indigenous Foods and Ecological Knowledge." If you would like to know about upcoming events please sign up for our mailing list.
For information about past events, please view our newsletter (PDF).
May 2017 Symposium
CALL FOR PRESENTERS
May 5-6, 2017
"The Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ"
Indigenous Foods and Ecological Knowledge Symposium
University of Washington, Seattle
The University of Washington invites you to submit a presentation abstract for our 5th annual “The Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ” event to be held May 5 and 6, 2017, at the wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ (Intellectual House) on our Seattle campus.
This year we are highlighting our Native youth (7th-12th grade) and encourage individuals and groups, especially from the Northwest, to submit abstracts or interactive workshops (including films and poetry) that align with our themes below. We value the work of our future leaders and want to utilize our event as a platform for their creativity, vision, activism, education, and community engagement. Youth scholarships are available to support travel and lodging.
We also invite participation from Indigenous scholars, Tribal leaders, elders, and educators. Please submit your individual/group presentation title and descriptions or abstracts (between 150-250 words) along with (1) name of the presenter/s (2) e-mail address/es (3) tribal affiliation and/or organization.
We encourage presenters to share knowledge on a variety of topics such as:
- Tribal Food Justice/Sovereignty
- Health and Wellness
- Plants and Medicines
- Youth and Education
- Climate Change and Adaptation
- Treaty Rights
- Ecological Knowledge
- Community Gardens
- Environmental Degradation and Exploitation
Submission deadline: December 18, 2016.
Please email your presentation description/abstract to The Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ Planning Committee chair Dr. Charlotte Cote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2015: "The Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ" Indigenous Ways of Knowing Cultural Food Practices and Indigenous Food Practices and Ecological Knowledge Summit - 2015 Summit Program (PDF)
- 2014: 2nd Annual Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ: Indigenous Ways of Knowing Cultural Food Practices and Ecological Knowledge Symposium
- 2014: UW Daily coverage of the "Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ” Indigenous Ways of Knowing Cultural Food Practices and Ecological Knowledge Symposium